The state of California has been working to counter the issues of the current drought. In recent years, water efficiency programs have been established to support the cause. One, in particular, the water sense program, is designed to protect the future of the U.S. water supply by offering people a simple way to use less water with water-efficient products and services.
- Promotes the value of water efficiency.
- Provides consumers with easy ways to save water
- Encourages innovation in manufacturing.
- Decrease water use and reduce strain on water resources and infrastructure.
The program is also intended to assist homeowners in saving water by providing them with incentives. For example, in collaboration with the local water agency, the Municipal Water District of Orange County offers rebates on the following outdoor water-saving devices:
- Smart Irrigation timer
- Soil moisture sensors
- Sprinkler Nozzles
- Rain Barrels
- Drip Irrigation
- Turf Removals
Besides, participating landscape contractors are offering a 10% discount to new customers for Smart Irrigation.
Since the launch of the program ten years ago and, in partnership with the EPA, the water sense program has helped manage water conservation in response to the severe California drought. The program has been able to:
- Save $32.6 billion in water and energy costs.
- Help save 1.5 trillion gallons of water in California for a year.
- Encouraged more than 350 utilities, local governments, manufacturers, retailers, distributors, builders, and other organizations have partnered with EPA to produce and promote water-efficient products, programs, and homes.
- Added more than 16,000 items to the program, including products for residential and commercial bathrooms, commercial kitchens, and outdoor irrigation.
For more information about the “Watersense Program” see the links below.
EPA. (2016). Water Sense. Retrieved from https://www3.epa.gov/watersense/about_us/what_is_ws.html
The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California. (2016). Financial Information. Retrieved from http://www.mwdh2o.com/WhoWeAre/Management/Financial-Information/Pages/default.aspx